Thursday, December 11, 2008

TANGENT: All Night Nippon and how obscure Japanese 80's pop culture impacts your Nintendo games.

I did a search for 穴井夕子 (Remember that name? I brought it up earlier on here.) on NicoNicoDouga today and got a mildly pleasant surprise. Before I elaborate you, you guys need to understand what makes it so interesting. And to do that, I'd have to show you something else first...





(Video stoled from supermariobros3636 - I'LL GIVE IT BACK LATER I PROMISE ;-; )

Does anyone here recognize this? Of course, it looks like Super Mario Bros - but twice as strange!
This is "All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros" for the Famicom Disk System. The story behind it is that All Night Nippon themselves raffled it off to contest winners in 1986.

So how doe this relate to what I found? Simply, really...

I found some actual recordings of the program. <3



An episode with the date 91/07/02.

I tried going back down NicoNicoDouga's archive to trace the oldest recording of this - it seems they only have down to 1988. Since I hear the ANNSMB was given out in 86, that means I need to figure out how to dig deeper into this.



Since I found these looking up someone I already identified as a Satellaview radio personality, it makes me curious about Nintendo's past relationships with what many foreigners may see as obscure Japanese 80's Pop Culture - and how it affected the decision to churn out the Satellaview itself.

Original NicoNicoDouga uploads:
大槻ケンヂのオールナイトニッポン
大槻ケンヂのオールナイトニッポン 88.10.06

(EDIT TIEM:

Digging around a bit more has landed me some 1986 content. :D

However, I also got the Japanese Wikipedia article on All-Night Nippon SMB and it looks like I'm actually meant to be looking for 1987...?

Hrrm.)

(EDIT 2: I've tried Excite-translating the All-Night Nippon SMB Article.

also, putting them 1986 segments up.




中島みゆきANN 1986年・ゲスト谷山浩子(30分)

No comments:

Articles on the New Satellablog

Check out the latest Pico Palace articles, too!